Accident Reporting

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR), by law, certain accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents within your school must be reported.

From preventing accidents, knowing which types need reporting, how much needs reporting, and who to, there can be a lot to get to grips with. With our help, accident reporting does not need to be complicated or time-consuming.

EPM customers can access support from Citation, our sister company, and benefit from:

  • Hands-on help to prevent accidents from happening
  • On-site support in the event of a serious incident
  • Around the clock access to Health & Safety experts
  • An ever-growing list of training courses
  • Access to an online accident logging facility

What accidents need reporting?

Not every incident or accident needs reporting under RIDDOR, and it is important to understand the difference between reportable and non-reportable incidents so that you do not make any unnecessary disclosures.

Some examples of common RIDDOR-reportable incidents involving employees include: fractures (excluding fingers, thumbs and toes), serious burns, and loss of consciousness caused by a head injury. Incidents involving pupils should only be reported if they were the result of your school’s activities and a) results in death, or b) requires the pupil to be taken directly to hospital for treatment.

Do accidents that stem from sports activities need reporting?

Not necessarily, because the injury will not always be a result of how your school has managed the risk associated with the sporting activity.

If you are unsure whether an injury picked up during a sports activity needs reporting, ask yourself, was the accident caused by the condition, design or maintenance of your premises or equipment? And, did insufficient supervision of the activity factor into the accident? If the answer to both is no, then it is unlikely the accident will be reportable under RIDDOR.

Who do you need to report the accident to?

All RIDDOR-reportable incidents should be lodged by a responsible person using the official form provided by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The only schools that the HSE does not have jurisdiction over are privately run nursery schools. For these, the Local Authority is the enforcing authority. There is no legal requirement to inform Ofsted about RIDDOR incidents.

When it comes to lodging your online incident form, the HSE has seven categories for you to choose from: injury, dangerous occurrence, injury offshore, dangerous occurrence offshore, case of disease, flammable gas incident, and dangerous gas fitting. For certain specified injuries and accidents that result in a fatality, the HSE has a telephone service.

Want to find out more?